Collaboration with Wisconsin DOT for Ongoing Specification Development
When the Wisconsin Department of Transportation sought lower temperature specifcations for concrete road work, concrete cooling with liquid nitrogen caught their attention.
- 90° F / 32° C
- 35-mile reconstruction of I-94 North-South in Kenosha and Racine Counties
- Low water content mix required for concrete road work
- Extremely high production rates necessary for paving
- Contractors faced the operational challenge of mixing concrete in dump trunks – no mixer
- Conventional cooling with ice would consume time and inhibit cost-effective production
While specification development continues, NITROcrete collaborated with WisDOT to present solutions to solve the engineering and equipment constraints with lowering concrete temperature for concrete road work.
The DOT wanted an affordable, practical way to constructdurable roads,particularly on ongoing projects for reconstruction on I-95 North-South in Kenosha and Racine counties. For roadwork, contractors faced the operational challenge of mixing in dump trucks — without a mixer truck, conventional cooling with ice or other methods becomes untenable. To meet a lower specification, contractors and the DOT would require a more practical yet still cost-effective solution.
Met and exceeded cooling requirements, even on the test pour, wasting no time for cooling. By meeting the stringent specifications in unpredictable weather, the customer helped prevent thermal cracking in biomedical, bionuclear waste vault.
NITROcrete is the world leader in concrete temperature control. In 2012, what started as a jobsite problem for a partner evolved into a solution that is revolutionizing the concrete industry. The team listened, tested, developed prototypes, and made adjustments. Then they listened more, tested more, and in 2017, after 5 years of R&D, they introduced NITROcrete, a comprehensive concrete solution born directly out of the concrete industry.
The largest concrete companies in the world now use NITROcrete to simplify their processes, streamline their operations, and grow their bottom lines. NITROcrete provides a comprehensive concrete solution–cooling, system management, and support–which gives its worldwide industry partners unmatched efficiency, control, and peace of mind.
- WisDOT discovered that NITROcrete would meet the high production rate requirements while addressing engineering and equipment constraints
- Feasible alternative to permit contractors to achieve lower temperatures